Hustling Better Than Before

I've been striving to be stronger, faster, thinner, and just better than I was in every way. I believe God is not only reshaping the old me but is creating a new person from ground up. My mind and body have undergone major renovations in the last year.



On Sunday, February 22nd, 2015, I completed my second annual Hustle Up the Hancock stair climb. The Hancock building is a one of Chicago's tallest, perched on the edge of down-town, overlooking Lake Michigan. When I climbed in April of 2014 I weighed 255lbs and had a time of 24:51. I hopped to have a time of less than 20 minutes. I succeeded in accomplishment, but failed  to meet my personal expectations.


2014: Time 24:51
Men’s rank 961/1328 = 0.723 (bottom 70 percent)
Overall rank: 1613/2610 = 0.618 (bottom 60 percent)
 

This year however, I was more motivated than ever...

I set new goals and increased my routines. I wanted to have a time less than 18 minutes and I wasn't going to settle for less.

Pushing myself in sickness and health, overcoming a vicious cold, which filled my lungs with congestion and pain. To make matters worse my daughter, Gianna, suffered a horrible double ear infection which kept my wife and me up for the majority of the night prior to the climb. I was determined to be better in my sickness than I'd been at my best last year.

No excuses... Just actions.

I pushed myself in the stairwell, passing countless people as I ascended the tower. I paced my stride between the 1643 steps winding into sky.  I was tired, but I pressed on, taking no more than a single second to take an additional breath. I could feel a burn in my lungs as I passed the finish line.


 
I did it.

16 minutes, 38 seconds.

Under 18 minutes.


2015: Time 16:38
Men’s rank 197/1431 = 0.137 (top 15 percent)
Overall rank: 277/2791 = .099 (top 10 percent)
 
 
I had cut 1/3 of my time off from the previous year and went from 61% rank overall to 10% rank.

It's bitter sweet that I had such a successful run. I succeeded at beating my goal, but I know I could still do better.  If I were to do it again today (a few days later) I know I could already beat my 16:38 time, which makes me sad that I didn't widen the gap between my first and second year more. However, I like that I have a buffer to dominate next year too.

Next year's goal... Under 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts